Friday 16 November 2012

Why Do So Many College Research Projects Study Things We Already Know?




Expert Author Lance Winslow
Okay so, as someone who runs a think tank which happens to operate online, I spend much of my day pouring over the science news, research journals, and the latest in research and development. One thing that always concerns me and it's generally when I read a press release from some college or university which has a new paper which just came out, is that; they keep doing research projects on things that we already know as a society - things which are common sense, and that to me seems like a waste of money. Okay so let's talk shall we?
You see, I realize the colleges do research for things they can get funded, and things which are too complicated or areas of research which are not well understood often do not get the funding, perhaps because our politicians and decision-makers aren't necessarily the sharpest tacks. Further, I am a little bit dismayed that we aren't challenging our college students and grad students enough. We should have them working on the latest and greatest science, and looking to make breakthroughs. If they continually study and do research on things we already know about, that does not help the forward progression of mankind.
Sure, one could say it is a learning experience, and you have to learn how to do research before we let these newest grad students work on the important things. Whereas I understand this theory, and I also wish to make sure that we can trust the integrity of these working groups, I still think it's a waste of money. Why should I as a taxpayer be funding research projects which will only confirm something that has been pre-confirmed and duplicated hundreds of times before, if not thousands of times around the planet?
If we really care about innovation and the future, then we need to press on and challenge our research scientists. Not a day goes by where I don't read at least 10 articles from the science news which have totally wasted my time, told me things I already knew, much of which is common sense. That is a waste of digital space, a waste of my time, and we could be better utilizing this talent to go on to do great things. We are holding them back, and the human race in the process. There is no honor in that, and it is a waste of taxpayer's money in my humble opinion after observing this reality for over 30 years. Please consider all this and think on it.
Lance Winslow has launched a new provocative series of eBooks on Innovation in America. Lance Winslow is a retired Founder of a Nationwide Franchise Chain, and now runs the Online Think Tank; http://www.worldthinktank.net

yeszimbo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment